My goodness, my baby is growing up so fast! I can't believe it. A few weeks ago, we made the milestone of attending nursery for the first time. Our block is at 1:00, right during his nap. Heaven help me. He was so tired, but he was distracted by the toys long enough for me to slip out. I didn't realize how paranoid of a mother I am until then, when I just couldn't leave the hallway where I could peek into the door window to check on him. As I stood there watching him with these strangers, a little piece of my heart broke. I was so proud of him and how he was growing, but it was a major step for me. No longer would I be there at every moment to give him a reassuring smile and a kiss and tell him that everything was fine, that his mom loved him no matter what. He was on his own. Well kinda. It kinda sounds like I sent him off to college or on a mission here, but hey, I'm a mom and I can be dramatic if I want. He was in a new environment where he had to fend for himself and I was proud and sad and excited all in the same moment. Then I saw a bigger kid steal the bowl Easton was holding from right out of his hands. Dun dun dun. Grrrrr. Okay, okay, I'm not going to be one of THOSE parents. Kids will be kids. I let it be. Then this same kid grabs Easton in a headlock and tried to take him down. I'm not kidding. Poor Easton is looking around like, "What is this place? Who is this kid being so mean and taking my bowl?". This kid didn't stop and the nursery leaders didn't notice so I turned into one of THOSE parents and opened the door to alert the leaders that my poor son was being taken down. They hurried over to help and I left. Oh man. I wanted to yell at that kid. But from what I could tell from the rest of my frequent trips to check on him, Easton did fine. I went to pick him up and they said he had fallen asleep right at the snack table. Poor thing. The next Sunday, I received this and bawled like a baby. Its my right as a mother to do that...right?
** Edited: This past Sunday did not go so smoothly. He was very upset when I left. :( That is hard to leave your crying child! I hope he gets used to it soon...
4 comments:
oh my goodness---he is getting BIG!!!
P.S. It's still hard for me when other kids are mean to my kids (even when they deserve it) I even get a little defensive when Spencers friends are smart a's to him--even when they are joking! Welcome to motherhood, imagine some chic talking advantage of our boys---maybe we should enjoy the nursery squawbles!
He will get used to it. Addison was the same way. Yesterday we walked her right in and dropped her off and she didn't even cry- that was a first. It is really hard to leave them somewhere you know they aren't comfortable though. He'll do great!
What a brave mother you are! After being in the nursery for a year I have found that it is hard for most mothers. In fact, some just stay in there the whole time! I also have a little trouble maker that pinches cheeks on the little kids until they cry... the other day I yelled at him so bad he started to cry! Whoops! Anyway Easton seems like a pretty solid kid... I am sure he will hold his own!
It get's better every single week. Cameron was the same way cried for about five minutes and then he was just fine. It is hard not being there every single minute to help them but it's amazing that they just grow up and learn how to do things for themselves.
Post a Comment