4.30.2008

Pureed Green Beans: Poor Babies!

Well...Easton had his six month well check today. (Holy cow! It seems like I was just in that office with a three day old getting his heel pricked to check for jaundice!) He now weighs 19.3 lbs. Go Easton! The doc was surprised he was only in the 75th percentile for his weight, as you can totally see he is quite the little chunker. Don't worry. His head circumference is still in the 95th. Anyway, she suggested we start on veggies soon because he has had fruit and cereal for awhile and he might soon only favor that sweet taste. So I got some to take home and try out. Thought we'd try green beans. She said most babies like those more than peas. Mind you, I wasn't too worried. Look at my child. He likes food. He hasn't had any issues at all eating what solids I've given him...doesn't spit anything back out. Well. Not so with the green beans. The first tiny bite he made a face and swallowed. Second bite apparently he had a plan. Those green beans went straight to the roof of his mouth, mouth wide open. No tasting the green beans. It was so funny. He just sat there with his mouth open...not swallowing or moving his tongue. Every now and then he would let out a gaggy sigh like, "Mom...seriously...wipe this off of the roof of my mouth." Smart kid. Sadly, he eventually had to swallow and what followed was our first real vomiting experience. Very different from spitting up. I felt so bad. The whole thing was caught on tape and I was going to post it but I figured the ralphing might not be so pleasant to watch at the end. I've searched the internet for tips on getting babies to eat veggies, but I only get instructions to MAKE baby food. Come on. Lets get real. Some days with out a microwave my family would starve. Any advice? I tasted them and...wow. I really can't blame the kid.
I'm such a mean mom. I make him get shots and barf in one day. I'm pretty close to getting that mother of the year award. :)

9 comments:

Kristy said...

Hey Jessica! Aivree HATED the green veggies also. She would not eat green beans or peas, try the 'mixed garden veggies' she did better on that. Or make his rice cereal and also give him some veggies. Like on the spoon do half cereal and 1/2 veggies. Or just do the carrots and sweet potatoes, Aivree loved those! Good luck! But I heard it takes a baby 7 times to decide if they like or hate something, so keep trying! :)

Kristy said...

This is Kristy by the way.... :)

Sarah said...

I totally agree with the carrots and sweet potatoes. My kids loved them both. Also if you ask my Mom they need salt... Thank Heaven for options....

Kylee said...

Go Easton. Stick it to the veggies. My nephew is a connoisseur.

Connie said...

That description of him refusing to close his mouth with the food in there was great. I am sitting here laughing just picturing it. My kids never ate the green veggies either. They loved the orange ones though. Good luck :)

Jessica said...

Okay so maybe my doctor is a bit paranoid. She said to start on green veggies so they develop a taste for them before loving the orange ones because if all they eat is the orange ones they will LOOK orange from the beta carotine or whatever. YOU all have beautiful non-orange babies. Psh...we'll definitely be sticking to orange for now.

Allie said...

Jess, that is so funny! who ever would have thought that at that age they knew what they liked and didnt like. McKinley loved carrots and sweet potatos, just like I am sure most kids do... and no she never was orange. HAHA funny story, McKinley hasnt had baby food since she turned one and I was feeding her cousin, who is 7 months and she wanted some, so I gave her a taste and she started screaming her head off.. Needless to say she wont ask for another taste of baby food again.

Becky said...

Oh, the moments. I started Colt on squash, then eased into the more potent veggies. But mostly it took introducing the same thing repeatedly. What if you give him real green beans, cooked well and in small pieces? He might be excited for the "solid" food and eat them that way.

Now that's just silly about a baby turning orange! ...I think.

shana said...

Isn't that stuff nastly, Cambree liked all the stage two stuff, but when I switched to stage three where it's only partily ground up, she gagged and gagged with her little eyes watering. Jaxon really liked sweet potatoes and squash-I figured that was fine for veggies and now he loves broccoli-so who knows. Although, Haili did turn orange when she was about 8 months old because all she would eat was carrots and sweet potatoes, and my friend in highschool, her mom when on a carrot-something diet and she turned orange too-it's true-it can happen, but it's just like a tanning bed orange or a tanless lotion orange, it's not too bright. Plus summers comming if he does turn orange people will just think he has a tan! Good Luck!