Yes folks. This is my father. What a fine specimen of an athlete. He hasn't changed one bit since those days. Still wears those stylin shorts too. My dear father...the one and only Special K...where do I begin? I was thinking of children and how they immortalize their fathers. I was no different. I was pretty dang sure when I saw this picture as a young girl that he was in the NBA. I knew my dad could do anything, fix anything and make everything better. I still find myself with these thoughts...times like when I've missed my flight at the airport (story to follow later) and I'm thinking...if only Dad were here, he would know what to do. He is quite the airline passenger officianado (is that a word? the more I look at it, the more I think I made it up), he traveled a lot for his job. I can't even begin to list everything my dad has taught me and done for me. I have to give him credit for instilling in my heart a love of good music. As far back as I can remember, songs would come on the radio and he would ask me who it was. I remember I always guessed the Beatles, that being one of the few bands I had heard of, all the time thinking, why would a band be named after a bug? Not long after, I learned more about all kinds of music and could guess correctly more often. Some of my favorite memories are of us driving in the car listening to music while he would tell me stories of the band or person and why they wrote a particular song. One that sticks out in my mind is Ozzy's "No More Tears". So thank you Dad, for introducing me to a broad spectrum of music. We also share a love of scary movies. I remember watching the classic Halloween with him and being scared out of my pants. I'm so thankful for his example. He has a solid testimony that I learn from continually. He is a hard worker. I had the opportunity to work as an administrative assistant at Cambric where he was the Executive Vice President. I was always impressed with his work ethic and leadership and was always proud to say, yes I'm his daughter. Thank you Dad, for always being there for me, for helping me with my math, for taking me and my friends to haunted houses, for loving me even though I don't have an athletic bone in my body, for teaching me to change the brakes on my car, for always being worthy to give me priesthood blessings when I needed them, for being a great example for what I should expect in a husband, for being an awesome Grandpa to Easton, and for helping to get where I am today. I love you Dad.
6.15.2008
My Dad is Cooler Than Your Dad!
Yes folks. This is my father. What a fine specimen of an athlete. He hasn't changed one bit since those days. Still wears those stylin shorts too. My dear father...the one and only Special K...where do I begin? I was thinking of children and how they immortalize their fathers. I was no different. I was pretty dang sure when I saw this picture as a young girl that he was in the NBA. I knew my dad could do anything, fix anything and make everything better. I still find myself with these thoughts...times like when I've missed my flight at the airport (story to follow later) and I'm thinking...if only Dad were here, he would know what to do. He is quite the airline passenger officianado (is that a word? the more I look at it, the more I think I made it up), he traveled a lot for his job. I can't even begin to list everything my dad has taught me and done for me. I have to give him credit for instilling in my heart a love of good music. As far back as I can remember, songs would come on the radio and he would ask me who it was. I remember I always guessed the Beatles, that being one of the few bands I had heard of, all the time thinking, why would a band be named after a bug? Not long after, I learned more about all kinds of music and could guess correctly more often. Some of my favorite memories are of us driving in the car listening to music while he would tell me stories of the band or person and why they wrote a particular song. One that sticks out in my mind is Ozzy's "No More Tears". So thank you Dad, for introducing me to a broad spectrum of music. We also share a love of scary movies. I remember watching the classic Halloween with him and being scared out of my pants. I'm so thankful for his example. He has a solid testimony that I learn from continually. He is a hard worker. I had the opportunity to work as an administrative assistant at Cambric where he was the Executive Vice President. I was always impressed with his work ethic and leadership and was always proud to say, yes I'm his daughter. Thank you Dad, for always being there for me, for helping me with my math, for taking me and my friends to haunted houses, for loving me even though I don't have an athletic bone in my body, for teaching me to change the brakes on my car, for always being worthy to give me priesthood blessings when I needed them, for being a great example for what I should expect in a husband, for being an awesome Grandpa to Easton, and for helping to get where I am today. I love you Dad.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Dang. You definitely out blogged me on this one.
Awwww...that may have made my eyes water just a little. I had no idea your dad was so cool....ha ha.
That is a sweet picture! I didn't know your dad is a music man. And yes, you DO have a cool dad. Nice tribute.
You're blogs blow me away! You are such a great writer!
Man what a Chick magnet I was! This is a great example of how much your children really remember of what you teach them. After all the hours and hours of deep teaching all you can remember is my scaring you and my love for Devil music.
Dang!
That's really cool! It's wonderful he was at that level of basketball. Your blog is great!
Scott
Post a Comment