2.03.2009

Let Me Tell You a Story...

One not very stormy night, not very long ago, actually, just Sunday night, Randon was working at Volunteers of America. He works the weekend nights and doesn't get home till about 12:30 am. So you can imagine, by that time, I am warm, snug in my bed. This particular Sunday night, well, really Monday morning, at about the time I expected to hear the garage door open signifying my sweetheart's return, I instead heard Earth Wind & Fire's classic tune, "Shining Star". At first I started to do a little dance, but then I remembered it was my ringtone, so I answered my phone. "I ran out of gas," is what I heard. "Huh? What?" I'm a little confused and tired at this point. But I learned I had to rescue my loved one from the side of the freeway. Don't ask me how he ran out of gas in a new truck with all of the technology that tells you down to the mile how much gas you have left. Luckily we have a new room mate in our home, my sister in law Chantel is living with us, so at least I didn't have to wake Easton up to come with me. After finding a gas can, driving in circles to find a gas station and spilling gas everywhere, I was off to the rescue. And rescue him I did. We started the trek homeward, I followed Randon.  We were about, oh, halfway home, when I see flashing red and blue lights in my rear view mirror. I knew precisely why. You see, my registration expired in December. As a matter of fact, all three of our cars' registrations expired in December. What the heck? How did we manage to buy three cars all in December? Anyway, I had a huge crack in my windshield thanks to some trucker. So. Due to a lack of funds, we had not yet replaced said windshield. Nor proceeded to get the car inspected. All leaving me in the previously described situation. Pulled over in the middle of the night. The officer came up to my window and stated the obvious reason he pulled me over. I began to explain my situation, but as soon as the words "My husband lost his job..." came out of my mouth, I started bawling. Now, I did NOT want to be a stereotypical female that uses waterworks as a means of avoiding disciplinary action. I tried to convey that to the officer who left to check my license. I managed to calm down and when he came back he said he understood being out of work, and I didn't get a ticket. But it scared me into getting a windshield asap.  The very next morning I scheduled a windshield replacement, which made me cry inside a little, as we don't really have the funds for a $200 piece of glass. But heck, I wasn't getting pulled over again. Fast forward to this morning, as we are taking the Jeep to be inspected. Suddenly I have a little inspiration. "Don't new cars only have to be inspected every two years?" Randon was in the Jiffy Lube at this point and when I asked him, we discovered that, no, we did not need an inspection this year. Wait a minute, no...that doesn't mean then...yeah. WE DIDN'T HAVE TO BUY A WINDSHIELD. Why, people, why?  My inspiration comes a little too late. Grrrr. I'm so frustrated. The moral of the story? Don't run out of gas in the middle of the night! Maybe not. Maybe we should all rally to get rid of the whole registration idea. I think its dumb. Anyway, things have to start looking brighter, right? RIGHT! :)

8 comments:

Cassidie Anne said...

hahaha ohhhh jess.....you cried? are you pregnant? hahaha this is how rumors are started. someone is going to end up thinking that you are pregnant!

Kate and Wiley said...

What you are pregnant?! Oh congratulations! Its a girl? Oh that's so exciting!! You know, you can be reimbursed by your insurance company if you file a claim. :) Just give them a call to make sure your premium won't go up. Hey we need to get together...soon.

Kylee said...

THIS IS WHY WE NEED TO BECOME CON-ARTISTS.

And congrats on the new babe!

Connie said...

I would totally do something like that. Not necessarily the crying thing but the remembering one day and $200 too late thing. Oh, who am I kidding, I've done the crying thing too. Tons of built-up stress + being pulled over by a cop sometimes = crying.

PS: Your sisters crack me up.

Krista said...

You are so funny - if Riley ran out of gas that late at night I might have him call his dad - I would've been a chicken about going out in the dark! Yikes! Hey we know how it is about the registration ours was expired in September and we just re-registered in January. Isn't it fun to be poor?

Barlow Fam said...

What a fun night you had!! I think that I will boycott the whole registration thing with you!! Good luck with that whole thing!! By the way when oh when are we going to get together!!!?????????????/

Jenny's Joy said...

You are such a good wife to go out in the middle of the night to go and rescue your husband.

I cried once when John was pulled over, unfortunately, it was after the cop had already left and we had already received the ticket.

John told me my timing was off!

Becky said...

Well, I'm reading your posts out of order, so it sounds like everything has calmed down... But Jess, I hope you guys are doing okay. I've been out of the loop in the blog world for months, so I'm just learning what's happening in your life. Don't worry, you'll catch a break!